Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Saturday, 25 July 2020

Week Adventures - July 20-22, 2020

July 20, 2020  Westminster Ponds, London, Ontario

I went to Westminster Ponds to mainly look for insects.  There were a few butterflies around.  A nice warm day 25c and sunny,  feeling like 31c.  Birds I saw were House Wrens, Catbirds, Downy Woodpeckers, and Barn Swallows to name a few.

Wild Indigo Duskywing

Monarch

Northern Broken-Dash

Halloween Pennant



Turkey Vulture



July 21, 2020 - The Coves

I decided to go to The Coves this morning.  It was 21c and cloudy,  I saw a nice variety of birds.  Wood Ducks, Great Blue Herons (8), Catbirds, lots of Robins, American Goldfinches, House Wren, Carolina Wren, Indigo Bunting, Song Sparrows, Red-winged Blackbirds, House Finches, and Northern Cardinals.

Catbird

I was watching this Great Blue Heron wading around for fish. 

Great Blue Heron

As it was moving around, the heron kept looking up to the trees.  I thought I would look to see what the heron was seeing. 


There was another heron up there.  It looks like a young heron.  Maybe the heron in the water was trying to entice the young heron down to the water.

Great Blue Heron (young)

I always love to see Indigo Buntings!

Indigo Bunting

Wood Ducks (female and young)

Midland Painted Turtle





Group of Common Whitetails 

July 22, 2020 - Hyde Park, London, Ontario

A cloudy morning almost felt like rain.  It was getting more humid throughout the morning.  I saw swallows busy catching insects over the water - Barn Swallows, Tree Swallows and Northern Rough-winged Swallows.  This time of the year one starts to see sandpipers as they fly back down south.  There were lots of Killdeers, a Lesser Yellowlegs and a Least Sandpiper.





Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Tree Swallow

There was a lot of action in the woods and fields.  A lot of juvenile Robins and Starlings around.  I saw an Eastern Kingbird feeding its fledged young in a nearby tree.  There were Cedar Waxwings, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Catbirds, Field and Song Sparrows, and a Willow Flycatcher, 

Cedar Waxwing


Eastern Kingbird




No comments:

Post a Comment