Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Saturday, 23 November 2019

November Birding

I have been doing some birding around the area this week.

November 18, 2019 - Westminster Ponds

It was an overcast day, high of 3c.  There were a few Canada Geese in the pond plus about 16 Hooded Mergansers.  They were in the distance.  I also saw a Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Cardinals, Mourning Doves (12), a Red-winged Blackbird and a Ring-billed Gull.  My photos are not so great as I'm having camera problems.  

Canada Geese

Hooded Mergansers

November 19, 2019 - The Coves

It was another overcast day, high of 6c.  The Coves were ice covered.  I saw a Great Blue Heron in the trees.  Below the heron was a little open water going into a stream.  That is where I saw the Wood Ducks and Mallards.  I walked over to the other Cove and saw some action in bushes along the side.  Black-capped Chickadees flew in and along came a Downy Woodpecker.  Also two Carolina Wrens were singing.  

Great Blue Heron


Wood Ducks

Carolina Wren

November 20, 2019 - Hyde Park

Not too much in the water as most of it was frozen but there was a little opening where I saw the Common Goldeneye.  There were Mallards and Canada Geese in the water and on the ice.  I went to the area where there are a lot of bushes with berries.  I saw Dark-eyed Juncos, American Goldfinch, Tree Sparrows, a Song Sparrow and a Robin.  

Common Goldeneye top middle

Northern Cardinal

House Finch


November 23, 2019 - The Coves

It was quiet at first when I was walking along the path.  On the way back, I spotted two Northern Flickers, a flock of Dark-eyed Juncos with some American Goldfinch.  A Carolina Wren was singing and then saw some Black-capped Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers.  

Mallards

Northern Flicker

No comments:

Post a Comment