Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Sunday, 5 January 2025

New Year January 2025

To highlight 2024, I only got one new lifer back in January - Black-billed Magpie.  It wasn't a good year for butterflies or dragonflies.  There were not many around.  I had to really look for them through the Summer and Fall.

I started the new year 2025 going to Fanshawe CA to see what was around.  There were a nice variety of birds at the Tamarack Trail.  Lots of Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Dark-eyed Juncos, White-breasted Nuthatch, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-throated Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows, Red-bellied Woodpecker, and Black-capped Chickadees.  I also saw two juvenile Bald Eagles fly over.

Northern Cardinal

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Dark-eyed Junco

Mourning Dove

Yesterday (January 4), I went to Greenway Park for a walk.  It was really cold feeling like -15c and a strong, cold West wind.  There were snow squalls too.  I walked along Thames River and saw lots of Common Mergansers, some Hooded Mergansers, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneyes, American Black Duck and lots of Canada Geese and Mallards.  The Ring-necked Duck is still there.  Two juvenile Bald Eagles were flying over the river.  I will go to Greenway one more time this coming week before the area is closed down for construction until mid-March.  

Blue Jay

Ring-necked Duck (centre)

Common Mergansers


No comments:

Post a Comment