Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Saturday, 22 June 2024

A Scorching Week for Birding

I saw beautiful Butterfly Milkweed blooming at Komoka Park last week.



Eastern Kingbird

Indigo Bunting

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Coves - June 18, 2024

Very hot and humid conditions by a heat dome over Southwestern Ontario this week.  Today 32c, feels like 42c.  Some birds I saw/heard were Great Blue Herons, Osprey, Yellow Warblers, Catbirds, Song Sparrows, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Red-eyed Vireo, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Red-winged Blackbirds and Warbling Vireos.  I also saw a few insects.

Blue-fronted Dancer

Eastern Amberwing

Hobomok Skipper


Silver-spotted Skipper

Uplands Wetland, June 19, 2024

Temperature today 32c, feels like 42c.  Birds I saw/heard were Great Blue Herons, Killdeers, Spotted Sandpipers, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warblers, Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, Mourning Doves, Cedar Waxwings, Red-winged Blackbirds, Song Sparrows, House Finches and lots of Common Grackles feeding their young.

Great Blue Heron

Killdeer

Common Milkweed

Spotted Sandpiper

Coves - June 21, 2024

Another very hot day with a heat warning.  I really felt the heat today.  Some of the birds I saw/heard were Great Blue Herons (3), Great Egret, Osprey (3), Turkey Vultures, Catbirds, Northern Flicker, Carolina Wren, House Wren, Red-eyed Vireos, Baltimore Orioles, Yellow Warblers, American Goldfinches, Northern Cardinals, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and Song Sparrows.  There were lots of European Skippers around and Cabbage Whites.  

Great Egret

Great Blue Heron

Painted Turtles


No comments:

Post a Comment