Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Wednesday, 22 March 2023

Aylmer Wildlife Management Area - March 22, 2023

It was an overcast day with a temperature about 7c.  I figured there was about 1,500 Tundra Swans at the ponds (adults and immatures), and lots of Canada Geese.  At the back of the ponds, there were Mallards, Hooded Mergansers and a Great Blue Heron. There were other duck species but too far away to ID.  





The Ross's Goose is similar to the Snow Goose but has a more rounded head and a stubby bill.  They breed in Arctic Canada, Baffin Island and west of Hudson Bay.  Ross's Geese migrate central North America to south USA and Mexico.  They are rare in Ontario.

Ross's Goose

I saw some other birds while I was at Aylmer - Great Blue Heron, Killdeers, Red-winged Blackbirds, Song Sparrows, Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, Downy Woodpecker, Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees, Common Grackles, American Robins and House Sparrow.  I saw one House Sparrow carrying nesting material.

No comments:

Post a Comment