Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Sunday, 31 July 2022

Some End of July Findings

It was nice to see a Greater Yellowlegs and some Killdeers at the river along with the Mallards and Canada Geese.   

Greater Yellowlegs


The turtles were out sunning on the rocks.

Spiny Softshell Turtles
Federally - Endangered,
Provincially - Threatened





Northern Map Turtles

At Uplands North Wetland the water was low with a little bit of mudflat.  There were many Killdeers around, 6 Great Blue Herons and 3 Green Herons.  I noticed 6 Turkey Vultures flying overhead, and lots of Barn Swallows going to the water for bugs. The Song Sparrows were feeding their young and the Common Grackles were carrying food for their young. A number of turtles were around too.

Green Heron

Great Blue Heron

Barn Swallow

Eastern Painted Turtles

I went to the Coves to look for the Black-crown Night Heron, I could not find it.  Hiding in the trees across the Cove pond somewhere.  I scanned the trees with no luck.  At the other Cove pond, there were 3 Great Blue Herons and a Great Egret.  Also Turkey Vultures were flying overhead (6) and Chimney Swifts (5) catching bugs.  The birds are quiet so one has to watch for any movement in the trees and bushes.  Lots of juvenile Robins, Cardinals, and Catbirds.  I saw House Wrens, Song Sparrows, Northern Flickers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Belted Kingfisher, American Goldfinches, and Yellow Warblers. There were Eastern Painted Turtles on the logs too.

Great Blue Herons




Great Egret


No comments:

Post a Comment