Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Sunday, 17 July 2022

Mid-July Birding

July 11, 2022 - Hyde Park

Barn Swallows - juveniles waiting for food.  There were quite a few swallows flying around catching insects for their young.  


An Osprey flying overhead.


July 12, 2022 - Kilally Meadows ESA

There are a pair of Ospreys nesting at Kilally Meadows ESA.  They nested here last year, too.  The birds I saw - Yellow Warblers, Catbirds, Red-eyed Vireos, Cedar Waxwings, American Goldfinches, Song Sparrows, Field Sparrows, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Northern Flicker, Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, American Robins, Northern Cardinals, Spotted Sandpipers, Brown-headed Cowbirds, Mallards and Turkey Vultures.  

Osprey

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Turkey Vulture

July 14, 2022 - Uplands North Wetland

I have not been here for awhile so I thought I would check it out.  The water is very low.  Lots of female Mallards and juveniles (36).  I saw one female Wood Duck and some Killdeers and Spotted Sandpipers.  All the usual birds were there, Barn Swallows, Red-winged Blackbirds, Great Blue Heron, Canada Geese, American Goldfinch, Song Sparrows, Mourning Doves, Common Grackles, Catbird, Starlings and Turkey Vultures flying overhead. 

Mallards

Mallards

It was nice to see some turtles on the logs.  Midland Painted Turtles and a Snapping Turtle. 




July 16, 2022 - London Airport

The Northern Mockingbirds are still here.  Some people are seeing juveniles so it's nice the Mockingbirds had a successful nesting season.  

Northern Mockingbird


The Ospreys are here again this year having another successful nesting season as well.


Grasshopper Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Kestrel

In the last few years, I go to places where I see lots of butterflies.  I'm not seeing them this year.  I saw some Cabbage Whites, a few Monarchs, Clouded Sulphurs, Orange Sulphurs, and a couple of Mourning Cloaks just recently.  I look for milkweeds...not one butterfly. There are a lot of butterflies I have not seen yet.  Dragonflies...having the same problem.  


No comments:

Post a Comment