Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Saturday, 8 January 2022

Early January Birding

The Coves - January 1, 2022

I started the year at the Coves. It was overcast, 3c with no snow on the ground.  I saw a nice variety of birds.  Belted Kingfisher, Great Blue Herons, Blue Jays, Cedar Waxwings, American Goldfinches, Carolina Wren, Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy Woodpeckers, and Hooded Mergansers.

Belted Kingfisher


Red-tailed Hawk

Great Blue Heron

The Coves - January 4, 2022

I went back to the Coves this morning.  It was a rare sunny day, with snow on the ground.  The birds were enjoying the sun as they were active on the trees.  Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadees, House Finches, American Goldfinches, Cardinals, Carolina Wrens, Dark-eyed Juncos, and a Red-tailed Hawk.

House Finches



After the Coves, I checked out Greenway Park.  There were lots of Common Mergansers, Hooded Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes, Bufflehead, Canada Geese and Mallards.  A beautiful Bald Eagle was perched across the river.

Bald Eagle

Common Mergansers


Springbank Park - January 5, 2022

I didn't see many birds today.

Hooded Mergansers far away fishing

Gibbons Park - January 6, 2022

Today is a colder day, feels like -15c with light snow.  I didn't see much.  A lot of Canada Geese, Mallards, some Hooded Mergansers and Common Mergansers.  

Common Mergansers

Canada Geese resting


No comments:

Post a Comment