Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Sunday, 16 January 2022

Birding - Some Frosty Days

I went to Greenway Park a few times this week.  Wednesday, January 12, it was -12c, feeling like -20c....really cold.  I saw some nice ducks along the river.  Lots of Canada Geese, Mallards, some Black Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, Common Mergansers, Buffleheads and Common Goldeneyes.  Also, along the river were some Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatch, Cardinals and Blue Jays.

Common Goldeneye (female)

Then I came across 10 Great Blue Herons.  Eight resting at the north side of the river and two at the south side.  I just look down the river bank and there they were!   I've never seen so many at one time!



These two were just below from where I was standing.



Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser

Common Goldeneye (male)


Yesterday, January 15 was bitterly cold, -17c, feeling like -25c.  Again there were lots of Canada Geese, Mallards, some Buffleheads and Common Goldeneyes.

Muscovy Ducks -  there were 3 of them

Common Goldeneyes

I was watching the adult Bald Eagle and a juvenile came flying in and landed in the same tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment