Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Thursday, 6 February 2020

First Week Birding in February

February 3, 2020 - Greenway Park

Nothing much to report lately.  I went to my usual favourite places.
We had a couple nice sunny days this week.  Monday, was a nice day for a walk...sunny and high of 3c.  I saw a nice variety of birds along the Thames River......American Robins, Northern Flicker, American Goldfinches, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Carolina Wrens, Black-capped Chickadees, six Common Mergansers, lots of Canada Geese and Mallards.  The birds were very active and some were singing.  


Red-bellied Woodpecker

Common Mergansers



Yesterday, I went to the Coves to see what was around.  Most of the coves are still frozen with some small open areas with Canada Geese and Mallards.  I started my walk and looked up and the Red-tailed Hawk was in the tree looking down at me.  Last month, he was in a tree very close to where I was standing.  I continued on and coming back the hawk had not moved.  He flew to another tree not far from me.  I think he was enjoying the warm sun.







I went to Melbourne (2 times) the last few weeks to find the Short-eared Owls.  No luck!
Last week, I saw the Rough-legged Hawk, a Kestrel, Bald Eagle and Red-tailed Hawks.  This week there were 3 Northern Harriers and Red-tailed Hawks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment