Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Friday, 24 January 2020

Birding - Week of January 20-24, 2020

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - Fanshawe CA, London, Ontario

I decided to go to Fanshawe this morning to see if I can find the Chipping Sparrow.  Watching the birds feeding at the entrance of Tamarack Trail, there were lots of Northern Cardinals, Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees, White-throated Sparrows, and Mourning Doves.  I did finally see the Chipping Sparrow.  It was nice.

Dark-eyed Junco

Northern Cardinal

White-throated Sparrow

Northern Cardinal and Chipping Sparrow

Chipping Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Northern Cardinal

I went to the Dam to see what was in the water.  The one side the water was frozen.   The other side was open water.  All I saw was Canada Geese.  I scanned around the edges looking for ducks and found a busy Muskrat...swimming around and eating.
 




Wednesday, January 22, 2020 - The Coves

It was quiet at the Coves this morning.  The water is frozen again.  I saw Downy Woodpeckers, Dark-eyed Juncos, Tree Sparrows, heard Carolina Wrens, Northern Cardinals and the Red-tailed Hawk.




Thursday, January 23, 2020 - Greenway Park

There were a few ducks in the Thames River today.  Lots of Canada Geese, Mallards, some Common Mergansers, Bufflehead, and Common Goldeneyes.  Along the edge of the river, the Red-bellied Woodpeckers were active, Downy Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Jays, heard a Carolina Wren and an American Robin.  

Bufflehead

Bufflehead, Common Merganser, Mallards and Canada Geese
 
Common Goldeneyes
 
Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Red-tailed Hawk


1 comment:

  1. The Chipping Sparrow looks familiar! I was there this morning to check things out. There was also a White-crowned.

    ReplyDelete