Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Wednesday, 26 June 2019

Sightings in Thames River

I have been walking along the Thames River recently and found some turtles basking on rocks at the middle of the river.  Where I was standing they were far away so I tried taking photos of them the best I can.  The photos are blurry.

I first saw two turtles on the rocks.  The Northern Map Turtle. 


With my camera, I zoomed out and saw another turtle to the left.  It was a huge turtle. 


I zoomed in on the turtle and it was quite relaxed basking in the sun. 


I zoomed in more and I was surprised to see a Spiny Softshell Turtle.  It must be a female because of the size.  I've  never seen one so big!
Federally they are Endangered, Provincially they are Threatened. 


I walked on the walkway to try to get closer but it was difficult because of the trees, bushes and thick leaves.  I managed to get a photo with the turtle facing me.


Further along the river, I found more Northern Map Turtles.


No comments:

Post a Comment