I didn't see any rare birds this year. I love owls. So I think the Great Horned Owl will be my bird. I don't see many owls. For as long as I have been birding, there are lots of owls I have not seen. Eastern Screech Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Long-eared Owl, Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl, and the Northern Hawk Owl. I've seen the Snowy Owl a few times through the years. When I was in Florida in the '80s, I saw the Burrowing Owl and Barred Owl.
Here are photos of the Great Horned Owl I saw in March and April 2018.
I also want to mention the first time I have ever seen this insect - Snowberry Hummingbird Clearwing. I read about them and seen pictures of them but never seen one. I just didn't see one but two this summer!
These photos were taken July 26, 2018 - Snowberry Hummingbird Clearwing.
Happy New Year!
Very neat! I would love to see a great horned owl like that. The ones I’ve seen have never provided such clear views.
ReplyDeleteAll the best in the new year.
I'm not good at finding owls...I feel lucky to see this owl in the open facing the sun for warmth.
DeleteHappy New Year, Jonathan!