Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Sunday, 18 February 2024

Mid-February Birding

Fanshawe Lake - I took a walk along Fanshawe Lake this week to see what I can find.  At far distance, I spotted Common Mergansers and a large group of American Black Ducks.  I figured about 50 of them.  There were some Mallards mixed in there too.  

Common Mergansers

American Black Ducks

Immature Bald Eagle

Common Goldeneyes

A few more photos of Common Mergansers.  




I went to the Coves on Friday.  I saw some Canada Geese but no ducks.  The ponds were mostly frozen.  There were a few smaller birds flying along the pond edge and in thickets....Dark-eyed Juncos, American Goldfinches, American Tree Sparrows, Northern Cardinals, Mourning Doves. Blue Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadees, House Finches, and Carolina Wrens.  

Mourning Dove sleeping

The Red-tailed had some lunch.

Red-tailed Hawk



In my last blog I mentioned some rarities I saw.  To many people the ducks are not rarities but maybe uncommon but for me and the area where I bird, they are rare as I don't see them that often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment