Coves - January 15, 2024. I went birding this week to places close by. A very cold, frigid week with temperatures of -16c feeling like -20c to -27c. The birds were trying their best to keep warm. At the Coves, I saw a female Red-winged Blackbird. This is the first time I've seen a Red-winged Blackbird in January! I looked over my 45+ year bird listings and saw one listed in February1985.
 |
| Red-winged Blackbird |
There were a few Great Blue Herons along the edge of the water. I also saw American Tree Sparrows, Carolina Wren, White-breasted Nuthatch, Red-bellied Woodpecker, White-throated Sparrows, Dark- eyed Juncos, Downy Woodpeckers, American Robins, Northern Cardinals, and a couple of Red-tailed Hawks.
Springbank Park - January 16, 2024 A very cold day. Parts of the Thames are frozen with lots of ice floats with the water level still high. I really like the winter ducks. Common Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, Hooded Mergansers, and Common Mergansers. I saw American Black Ducks, lots of Canada Geese (over 250), Mallards (over 200), Northern Cardinal, Black-capped Chickadees, American Goldfinches, Dark-eyed Juncos, Blue Jays, American Crows, and Red-bellied Woodpecker.
 |
| Common Goldeneye |
 |
| Common Mergansers |
 |
| Northern Cardinal |
 |
| Blue Jay |
Greenway Park - January 19, 2024. At Greenway, Friday, I really felt the cold. Didn't stay too long. There were many ducks along the edge of the Thames River. Lots of Canada Geese, Mallards, Common Mergansers, Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers, and Common Goldeneyes. I spotted a lone male Green-winged Teal with a group of Mallards. I also saw 2 Great Blue Herons and along the edge in the bushes were Dark-eyed Juncos, American Tree Sparrows, American Goldfinches, House Finches, Black-capped Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, and a White-breasted Nuthatch.
I was looking at the ducks when this bird came flying over and landed in a tree right in front of me. A Sharp-shinned Hawk! There were some noisy Blue Jays around and I think the hawk was chasing one but stopped short to the tree.
 |
| Common Goldeneye |
 |
| Common Goldeneyes |
 |
| Common Goldeneyes with a Common Merganser (male) |
 |
| Common Merganser (Female) |
 |
| Canada Geese |
 |
| This poor Great Blue Heron looks so cold |
No comments:
Post a Comment