Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Thursday, 22 June 2023

Sifton Bog ESA - London

June 22, 2023

I went for a walk in the Sifton Bog today to look for dragonflies and butterflies.  I didn't see any!  I saw 2 painted turtles and one Green Frog.  A few Song Sparrows were around and also American Robins, Northern Cardinals, Common Grackles, Blue Jays, Cedar Waxwings, American Goldfinch, Red-winged Blackbird, and House Finch.  

The Grasspink was blooming but not very many.  Grasspink is in the Orchid Family.

Tuberous Grasspink

Midland Painted Turtles

Yellow Pond Lily

The vegetation in the central part of the bog is dominated by Sphagnum moss.


Green Frog

All around the bog is covered with Leatherleaf Shrubs.  It's a small shrub that likes moist areas.

Leatherleaf Shrubs

Little Black Spruce

Tuberous Grasspink

Tamaracks surround the bog.


Tamarack

Black Spruce is another tree that survives in moist areas. 

Black Spruce

The boardwalk through the bog.




No comments:

Post a Comment