Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Thursday, 18 March 2021

Hyde Park Drainage Pond and Trails - London, Ontario

March 18, 2021 

The woods around the drainage pond is being cleared out because of the invasive Buckthorn shrubs.  The large trees are staying but everything around the trees (and any other shrub in the way) are being bulldozed down.  I talked to the worker clearing the area. It was nice he came and spoke to me about what he is doing.  I thought, another woodlot be knocked down for development.   


The trees and other shrubs plus Buckthorn covered most of the woods area.  I know something has to be done with this invasive species...it's a problem in a lot of areas.

I see a lot of different birds in this area - Indigo Buntings, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks,  Flycatchers, Baltimore Orioles, Phoebes, Cedar Waxwings, Catbirds, Hummingbirds, White-crowned Sparrows, different finches and the birds nest in this area.  The shrubs are a good cover for the birds to feel protected and to nest.  Also the finches love the berries.



So, it will be interesting on what I see this coming Spring and Summer.  I think I will not see these birds here again.  With just the trees, it's very open now.




No comments:

Post a Comment