Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Friday, 23 August 2019

Casual Birding In London Area

This week (August 19-23) I have been out birding to the main areas I usually go.  Some of the days were humid and muggy.  I saw birds I usually see but nothing unusual.

Westminster Ponds, ESA - There are kettle ponds surrounded by lowland and upland habitats in this area.  I walked half way around Saunders Pond and back.  The trails were mostly damp.  I tried walking these trails before this and they were too mucky in some spots.  There is a boardwalk going out with a viewing platform at Saunders Pond.  I didn't go there because there was a class of kids on the platform and looked like they were going to be there for awhile.  
Usually one can get a few species of birds at the platform.  Some other time.

View of Saunders Pond

Wood Duck

There was 3 Great Blue Herons

A lot of American Goldfinches on the thistles

Saunders Pond

Hyde Park Drainage Pond

Blue Jay

Great Blue Heron

Double-crested Cormorant

A young Northern Flicker

Again, it was hard to find butterflies.  

Northern Crescent

Eastern Tailed-Blue

Common Ringlet

The Coves ESA - I saw Great Blue Herons and 2 Green Herons.  The Belted Kingfishers were busy flying around.  Other than that, it was quiet.

Great Blue Heron

Wood Ducks





No comments:

Post a Comment