Susan's Birding and Nature Blog

Saturday, 6 July 2019

Variety of Wildlife Found July 1-5, 2019

I was out to different areas in London this past week.  I was mainly looking for butterflies and dragonflies.  I'm aware of the birds around me but I'm mainly concentrating on insects.  I'm finding it's not easy finding butterflies so far.  Some areas I didn't see any butterflies at all! 

Butterfly Milkweed

There was a long grassy area I was looking at when this huge raccoon came out and walked to the other side of the walkway and down to the river. It was huge!  Back looking around at the long grass area for butterflies....I turned to go back and there was a White-tailed Deer standing there staring at me!  It startled me!  The deer went on down to the river.  It was really nice seeing the raccoon and deer but found no butterflies.

Raccoon

White tailed Deer

Great Blue Heron

I look for flowers too.

Purple-flowered Raspberry

Chicory

Mallards

Eastern Pondhawk

The next two butterflies are lifers for me.

Little Wood Satyr

Northern Pearly-eye

I haven't seen too many Cabbage Whites so far.  I hope to find more butterflies this coming week.

Cabbage White

Common Ringlet

Painted Turtles

Blue Dasher

Northern Flicker

This is the only butterfly I'm seeing a lot of....Common Crescent.

Common Crescent

Widow Skimmer

Common Whitetail

Blue-fronted Dancer


No comments:

Post a Comment